220 Dorris Court
This stately colonial was built between 1929 and 1932 for Shields Logan Fowler and his wife Cassie. First located on a bluff above Mary's Creek near the Parker/Tarrant County line, the house was cut in half in the early 1980's and moved to its current location. The Fowlers struck oil on their cotton farm in Burkburnett, Texas in 1918. Fowler sold his royalties for 1.8 million dollars in 1918 and moved toWichita Falls but didn't like their drinking water so moved to Fort Worth. By 1932, seeking to get away from the city, he built this house. Mr. Fowler lived to be 102 and the house was sold to The Leonards.
However, the Leonards where more interested in the land and the house was forgotten. Mrs. Patsy Dorris Hale and her husband Dr. Billy Hale rescued the house and saved it from demolition. Each brick was numbered when being moved to ensure that the house was reconstructed properly.
Return to the Heritage Map