316 South Lamar
Weatherford banker W.S. Fant built this Greek Revival style house in 1890, attempting to duplicate the architectural style found in his native state of South Carolina.
It features a raised front wrap around porch on the east and south with balanced columns. The house retains its original beaded board ceilings, wainscoting, and hardwood floors.
The house had been vacant and neglected for 25 years when the first restoration began. Everything about this house is true to the 1890s Greek Revival style. The craftsmanship is apparent in every detail: from the trim around every door, to the soaring 13 feet beadboard ceilings and transom windows. The elegant stair case welcomes visitors to the home.
The house was sold in 1893 to John Whitlow. The house remained mostly vacant after Mary Whitlow’s departure. In 1985, Robert Gage bought the house and added the upstairs.
In January 2008, the house caught fire and was severely damaged. However, the home was purchased, restored and once again stands proudly among its historic neighbors along Lamar Street. (Click here for the newspaper story Fant House Fire).
Click Here to Return to the Heritage Map