517 West Spring Street
The house was one of four houses built in this area between 1873-1879 by an unknown owner. It originally faced south towards Palo Pinto and Spring Streets. The house was a one story farmhouse with the entrance on the south side into a parlor which had a fireplace. The house was then purchased by James Johnson prior to 1892. After borrowing $400 for renovations, Johnson raised the roof and added the dormers. He also added the front porch, wrap around porch and the back area. The columns were also added to give the house a Victorian- gothic look and the entrance was changed to Spring Street as it had become the main street in Weatherford. The original hand dug well of the 1870s remains. The house is made of cyprus wood brought to Texas from Louisiana. The house was used during World War II as apartments for the soldiers at Fort Wolter. This home has had several owners, however, Stan Garner restored the home in 2015. The current owners of this lovely two-story home are Mac and Laura Roberts.