City Hall/Firehouse Art Center & Gallery
119 West Palo Pinto Street
The old fire station was completed in 1933 and was built on the site of former station that was built in 1892 which suffered from a bad foundation. Volunteers fought the fires during the late 19th century with only the driver of the truck being paid. This was the city's main fire station for over 50 years. The old pole that fire fighters slid down was removed in 1990 and mysteriously disappeared. The station was the location of many oyster supper fundraisers which raised money for the volunteers and was an anticipated community event.
The building now houses some city offices and the Firehouse Art Center and Gallery the home of the Weatherford Art Association founded in 1966. Its purpose is to promote the growth of art and art appreciation of its members and the general public through educational activities, instructional programs, lectures, class instruction and just plain art.
Return to the Heritage Map